Child Support In Edmonton

Nothing good comes out of a separation of two people, who were once so in love with each other. And yet, when you come to look at couples and the families that they now have, you’d be surprised at how important the separation was not only for the couples themselves but more importantly for the children. It has helped each one move on from the family crisis they had, looking forward to a more positive relationship between them.

There is no reason for you to be ashamed for even asking. How much you give is not an issue. But if you want to find out how much are you expected to provide, this list might just help you. Here are the most frequent questions asked about child support in Edmonton with answers straight from lawyers whose expertise are in family law.

1. My child is with the other parent, how much child support should I be giving?

Each spouse is required to disclose all financial information for the sole purpose of calculating the amount of child support. Sometimes, when either of the spouses submit documents, they are sent a “Notice of Disclosure.” The court will them compute the fair value share that each parent will need to give every month.

In Edmonton, the computation for child support can be quite complicated. Some changes could be made based on the custody arrangement. Couples are encouraged to seek the help of a family lawyer. They will have a computer software program that will help them solve the amount needed for child support.

How much do you earn in a year? Your total gross monthly income (GMI) will help you compute for the child support that you give. The goal is not to limit your financial support to your child. Computing how much you earn and how much of that you need to live by is facing reality as it hits you. If you think you can give more than what the court requires you to, then no one should stop you from doing it.

The percentage of your GMI that you will provide for child support will depend on the number of children you have.

2. Am I obliged to give child support even if my child doesn’t live with me?

The responsibility to help your child is not something that the court should impose. You should look into this as a responsibility because you are a parent. In Edmonton, however, the court has a ceiling amount. The presumptive max and how the court calculates it is stated in the Child Support Table Look-up. Whichever is higher, that’s the amount the court will require you to give for child support. It is important to note, however, that provincial or territorial guidelines may apply in some cases.

3. I am in a new marriage, and I have children in it too, will that matter?

They do, as long as they are your biological children. You are free to provide the court with the birth certificates of the child or these children to prove that you are the biological father. The reduction in child support will be adequately calculated based on the legal responsibility that you may have with the other children.

4. Are there are other ways on how I could reduce my child support?

Yes. All the answers to the deviating factors are stated in the law of Edmonton on child support. The amount of time that you spend with the child, including travel costs are considered too. These are just two of the “deviating factors” that the court can consider.

5. If my child has special needs, will that affect support costs too?

Increased medical costs and other special needs, the court, may demand higher child support than the usual.

Because moving on means settling the issues including that of child support, here are a couple of questions that you may have and answers to help you. The marriage might be over, but your responsibility as parents to your children has not stopped at all. It is best to address properly and provide for their needs. That’s the least you can do for them now that the family can’t be together all the time.